Friday 4 March 2011

Day 5: Six of Your Favorite Books

1) The Princess Bride
I cant quite remember if I read the book or saw the movie first but the book is amazing. And the movie is one of the few AMAZING, perfect adaptations of a book.

True fairy tale - should be read and watched by all!

2) The Harry Potter saga
I was 11 when the first Harry Potter book came out - same as Harry, and I grew up with these books. I wasnt too sure at first, I had to try reading it a few times before I got past the second chapter then as soon as I did I was hooked. I started re-reading the sixth book, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince the night before The Deathly Hallows came out. I'd finished both books by Sunday early evening- 2 days flat! And I had to work, eat and sleep that weekend too.

3) 1984
Such an amazing story, so terrifying that it COULD happen. Eery that Orwell had such accurate predictions of the future. For me what I love most though is the love story. Or rather, the doomed love story. ***SPOILER ALERT*** It breaks my heart when he denys her. Although he is in the most awful of situations, I feel I would have rather died and said "F you Big Brother" than deny my love.

4) Everything by Roald Dahl
My favorite childhood author, and I could still re-read every story over and over again. They're so brilliantly written for children. Children they can relate to, horrible situations not sugarcoated but at the same time with amazing humour and excellent words that children adore. Snozcumbers! My children will be hearing a lot of Roald Dahl when they're growing up!

5) Of Mice and Men
We read this in English at school and I fell in love with the story. It broke my heart though. The movie with John Malchovich and Gary Sinise really sold it for me. Mr Sinise is GORGEOUS in that movie! I have excellent memories of spending Media Studies with my friend Nicky, just Googling pictures...ah the exciting lives of 15 year old hormonal girls! hehe

6) The Twilight Saga
Despite being a 20-something I love these books. When I started reading them through for the 3rd time I really realised that they actually arn't brilliantly written. But I don't care, this escapist romantic love story got me through a tough time and also brought me to some amazing people. I'm glad I've read them as an adult though. I can see how the relationships are not healthy. I really worry about those teenage girls who swoon "Edward is such a perfect man" Err...no...watching you sleep before your even dating, desperately trying to find out everything about you, forbidding you from seeing friends and taking you away from your family...hes a creepy creeper!


PS: This was my 100th post! Woop woop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this ramble :)